Recently, I stopped at Aldi and spotted a package of breaded pork cutlets. It looked tasty. Even simple. So I thought I’d give it a try. At first, I thought I’d just fry the pork cutlets and call this dinner, but as I inspected the package it looked like I could make this German recipe called Jaeger Schnitzel fairly easy. I did and it was wonderful.
If you don’t know, Jaeger Schnitzel is breaded pork cutlets topped with mushrooms and gravy. But couldn’t you do this same thing with chicken? Ofcourse you could. And my family loved it! Here’s my simple easy recipe:
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken
1 egg, beaten
1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1 lb. sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup packaged gravy
1. Pound chicken cutlets to about 1/2″ thickness. Cut cutlets into comfortable size servings.
2. Dip in egg; then dip in breadcrumbs. Complete breading for all chicken servings in preparation for frying.
3. Heat skillet with about 2-4 tablespoons of butter and 2 tbsp. olive oil at medium heat. Fry chicken cutlets about 4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Add butter and olive oil as needed. Place all cooked chicken on serving tray.
4. Add about 2 tablespoons more butter and 2 tbsp. olive oil in skillet. Fry sliced mushrooms in skillet about 1-2 minutes until tender.
5. Add 1/2 cup of white wine into skillet, and reduce to about half.
6. Add 1/2 cup of prepared gravy into skillet, and heat through.
7. Spoon mushroom sauce over breaded chicken cutlets.
8. Garnish with lemon slices and parsley, and serve wtih noodles, a fresh salad and crusty bread.
If you are really in the mood for German food, buy a package of spaetzles instead of noodles.If you like noodles, you’ll love spaetzles. Someday I’ll post how to make your own home-made spaetzles, but that’s for another day. (FYI, I use a spaetzle maker and it’s fast and fun).
p.s. I suppose you could use this recipe with boneless pork chops. Or you could just skip the hand-breading by buying pre-packaged breaded pork cutlets (like at Aldi’s) or breaded chicken. Just saying…..
But for now, MOM – just keep it easy and ENJOY!