I hate slaving over a hot stove especially during those lazy days of summer. One day a friend told me she cooks her pizza on the grill. Loving this idea, I couldn’t wait to try it turning my favorite Margherita Pizza recipe into a fun, easy and unique grilling experience.
8 oz. fresh sliced mozarella cheese
1-2 sliced roma tomatoes
1-2 cups fresh basil
4 tablespoons of virgin olive oil.
salt and pepper to taste
pizza dough and cornmeal
1. For starters, place your pizza stone on your grill. Turn your grill on high closing the lid. Let the stone heat for at least 10 minutes. (If your grill has a thermostat, the temp should be about 425 degrees.)
2. Next, spread cornmeal all over your pizza board. Then, with a rolling pin, make the pizza dough into a big circle stretching and pressing the dough with your hands where needed. (Note to self: make sure your pizza dough circle can easily slide onto the stone by shaking the board back and forth a little. If your dough sticks to the board, add extra cornmeal underneath and try again. Do not add the other ingredients until you know you can slide your pizza dough onto the stone!)
3. Using my hand, I spread about about 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the pizza dough making sure the oil is covers the outer crust edges. This makes the crust crispy and yummy.
4. Place mozarella cheese slices evenly on pizza dough.
5. Place tomato slices evenly on pizza dough.
6. Generously salt and pepper to taste.
7. Place basil on top of the cheese and tomatoes.
8. Drizzle another 2 tablespoons olive oil on top of all ingredients.
10. When finished, slide the pizza back on the stone and slice it. Serve while hot and enjoy.
I know this recipe might look difficult, but really – it’s not. In fact, IT IS MORE DELICIOUS THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE!